[Mansa-l] translation of "marigot"

Marcia Lynne Tiede m-tiede at northwestern.edu
Mon Mar 16 11:59:01 CDT 2015

Marie and all  --  My West African experience was not coastal, but in the Sahel in northern Cote d’Ivoire, where there was a spring?-fed small pond in a relatively wild (overgrown) area.  It was a glorified hog wallow, though I did see an elderly woman bathing in it once.  I’m pretty sure my translator called that the marigot – at least, that’s how I have thought of it ever since.  So I have mentally translated marigot generically as “water hole” when I’ve encountered it in literature.  Cassell’s dictionary defines it as “small W. African river or lake.”

I like your idea of just retaining “marigot”, with an explanatory footnote.

Marcia