[Mansa-l] translation of "marigot"

Peter Weil pmweil at udel.edu
Mon Mar 16 09:34:06 CDT 2015

Dear All,

I am sure that “marigot" is used to apply to all that others have mentioned. However, in Senegal, especially the Casamance area, these streams play an important role in rice farming, especially by Jola populations, but also some Mandinka populations. “Marigot” is applied to estuaries that develop in the wet season based on local rainfall. These streams become increasingly saline during the end of the wet season and at the beginning of the dry season, as the Casamance River decreases its flow rate and salt from the ocean intrudes further into it and into the mouths of the temporary estuaries. Olga Linares describes them as “tidal creeks."

Peter Weil