[Mansa-l] "Segou," "Ségou," or "Segu" in English?

Martin Klein martin.klein at utoronto.ca
Fri Jan 30 10:01:18 CST 2015

I think that Segou is fine. It is more common and if my memory is
correct, is used in Mali. We academics respect new official
orthographies, but the countries that proclaim them often stick to old
spellings. It is really not necessary to preserve the diacritical marks
in English. Let me remind you that Munchen is Munich in English, Londres
is London in English, and Roma is Rome. I do not think anyone is
terribly bothered.

Martin Klein