[Mansa-l] Spring News: Back from Mali, NYC lecture-Tuesday, Exhibition at Museum of Arts & Design

Janet Goldner art at janetgoldner.com
Fri May 2 23:03:48 CDT 2014

View as a webpage Click here

Spring 2014 News !

Back from Mali: KAWRAL
.
Tuesday: Arttable lecture on Malian Cultural Heritage, NYC
.
Multiple Exposures @ Museum of Arts & Design, NYC

Janet's work is included in

Multiple Exposures
Jewelry & Photography
@
The Museum of Arts & Design
2 Columbus Circle
New York, NY 10019

May 13 - September 14, 2014

Janet Goldner, Wealth in Africa,
Mixed Media Sculpture with photographs & video, 10 x 32 x 40 in, 2013

Multiple Exposures: Jewelry and Photography
is the first museum exhibition to explore how contemporary jewelry artists transform and add new meaning to the pervasive images of this digital age.  Drawing inspiration from historic daguerreotypes to manipulated digital images, international jewelry artists explore changing views of beauty and the human body; examine social, political, and cultural issues; probe perceptions of memory and desire; and question the broader relation of jewelry to society and personal identity, issues central to the contemporary experience.

 Janet will be speaking on Tuesday in NYC:

Threatened World Cultural Sites: The Silk Road & Mali
@
ArtTable

Sankore Mosque, Timbuktu

The World Monuments Fund lists 67 cultural sites still threatened in 2014. ArtTable members Marla Mossman and
Janet Goldner have intimate understanding of the issues in respective geographical areas: Marla on The Silk Road, and Janet on Mali. Each is an artist and a cultural ambassador to these areas of the world that have important and impressive ancient cultural sites and monuments. Join us for two presentations and a moderated discussion on strategies for protecting cultural monuments and heritage threatened with destruction. The discussion will be moderated by Amy Poster, Curator Emerita of Asian Art at the Brooklyn Museum, and independent curator.

Click here for info and tickets

Tuesday, May 6, 6:30 - 8:00 pm;  Members $10 | Guests $15

ArtTable Auditorium
1 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022

Click here to watch a videocast of Janet's lecture @ the Library of Congress.

Back from Mali !

Janet spent nearly 3 months in Mali working
with Malian artists/colleagues Kandioura Coulibaly, Kletigui Dembele & Sira Sissoko.
We directed KAWRAL, a Residency for 25 professional artists from throughout Mali
on the theme of Reconciliation, Peace & Social Cohesion.

The whole team of 29 committed professional artists worked in Mopti for 2 weeks.  After the Residency, we held a exhibition in at the Alliance Franco-Malian in Mopti. Then the show moved to the Museum of the Bamako. Funded by USAID, there is currently a catalogue in production.

Row 1: Abdramane Traore, Elmaouloud Alkassim Yattara, Ibrahim Litini Traore, Sambou Sissoko, Bathily Pape Diankame
2 Balla Traore, Siaka Togola, Boubacar Sadeck Najim, Founeke Sissoko, Mamary Diallo
3 Lancineba Traore, Aiya Fatima Attahirou Atta Akine, Kadidia Nienta, Gael Ismael Felicien Koningue, Lamine Barry
4 Abdou Tomota, Boubacar Tangara dit Koke, Djime Diakite, Marie-Ange Dakouo, Massira Toure
5 Djoman Samake, Abdoul Karim Konate, Abdoulaye Coulibaly, Oumou Sankare, Alhassane Tangara

Inside Out, steel, 2013

3 Sculptures on view  @
.
Central Booking Art Space

21 Ludlow Street, NYC
on the Lower East Side.

Thursday-Sunday  *  12pm-6pm

info at centralbookingnyc.com
347-731-6559

 Obama in Mali
  When I arrived in Mali in May 2009, I saw images of  Obama
  everywhere -  stuck on cars and motorcycles,  painted on stores,
  printed on t-shirts and fabric.I also saw images of American flags
  in these same places either along side images of Obama or on
  their own. I enjoyed the variety of images, the context and the
  juxtapositions.  Obama was often depicted along side other
  popular icons. This book documents what I found in 2009 and 2010.

.
Videos about MALI
.

Oumou Sangare @ the Malian Cultural Center, NYC
Oumou Sangare sings to children from the Children's Aid Society Camp.

Mali: An Invitation to Travel
Mali: An Invitation to Travel presents an introduction to the history, economics and culture of Mali, 1999.

Janet Goldner

                                    photo: Teri Slotkin

  http://www.janetgoldner.com                                                                                                    art at janetgoldner.com

Forward email

This email was sent to art at janetgoldner.com by art at janetgoldner.com |
Janet Goldner | 52 Warren Street | New York | NY | 10007