[Mansa-l] SOAS summer school: two bursaries available

Marie Rodet mrodet at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 16 08:08:58 CDT 2014

SOAS is planning on launching a small bursary scheme for the summer school courses.
There will be 2 places available per course and the process will be competitive. The scheme will work as follows:

Guidelines: It's only available to current students, who will have to provide either a 500 word statement or a 2 minute video clip explaining why they would like to do the course along with an academic reference and proof that they are currently studying at university. The academics teaching each course will then be asked to judge the 2 best applications and they will be notified and awarded the places.

Cost: We will charge a reduced fee of £500 for the tuition per 3 week course plus a £55 application fee to successful students.

Dates: We will notify students in next week's Summer School newsletter, the closing date for applications will be 9 May. Academics will review the applications and make a decision by 19 May and I will notify successful students on 20 May.

SOAS summer course for 2014: Africa - Europe: Post-Colonial Politics, Migration and the Diaspora. Dates: Monday 30 June- Friday 18 July.
The Department of History is pleased to announce a new intensive three-week summer course, Africa - Europe: Post Colonial Politics, Migration and the Diaspora. This course is a historical and sociological introduction to the study of African-European Relations, with particular attention to questions of post-colonial politics, the African Diaspora in Europe, citizenship, ethnicity, discrimination, narratives of race-based identity, “blackness” and colour-blindness, and rhetoric of multiculturalism. We will look at post-colonial issues of migration from Africa to Europe and what they tell us about post-colonial politics in the UK and France. We will investigate the impact of the historical and colonial legacies of European countries on policies and legislation on migration and citizenship, the ways in which each country has dealt with issues of race, gender and national identity and how people of African descent in the UK and in France have reacted/responded to these issues so far.Fees: £1250 for 3 weeks full time, plus a £55 non-refundable application fee. Discounts are available; please see the website for details.
Language Requirements: there is a minimum English language requirement if English is not your first language: IELTS (www.ielts.org), 7 overall or higher, with at least 6.5 in all sub scores or equivalent.
How to apply: Please visit http://www.soas.ac.uk/summerschool/subjects/afreurpostcolonialpolitics/ for more information and to download an application form.
Contact: email summerschool at soas.ac.uk or telephone 020 7898 4205