[Mansa-l] Question about Al-Farouk monument

McLaughlin,Fiona fmcl at ufl.edu
Sun Mar 9 19:42:16 CDT 2014

Dear MANSA colleagues,

I am trying to find out what the inscription on the low cement wall next to the Al Farouq monument in Timbuktu said before it was defaced.  The inscription is (was) in green bas-relief in Arabic script, but I'm having trouble reading it, as are my Arabist colleagues, so maybe it's ajami rather than Arabic  - or perhaps the photos we have aren't very good.  If anyone knows, I'd very much appreciate knowing whether it was in fact Arabic, or another language, and what it said.

Many thanks,

Fiona Mc Laughlin
University of Florida