[Mansa-l] Fwd: Memorial Donation to Sekou Camara's Family

David Conrad basitigi at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 5 13:05:40 CST 2013

Memo to MANSAdenw who knew Kabaya Sekou Camara and sent donations to
our Secretary-Treasurer:

This morning I notified Dianna Bell that I'll be leaving for Bamako a
week from Monday, on January 14th.
Dianna was planning to send me the donations as soon as I got final
approval of my trip, so I assume I'll be delivering the funds.

A couple of points re: the message below from our brother Berte.
I'm familiar with the (not at all unusual) complications involved in
the family matters, and by following the normal Mande protocols and
with Berte's very well-informed guidance, the funds will be
appropriately delivered and distributed to where they need to go.

This is an unusually short trip for me (only two weeks), so I'm not
sure I'll be able to get down to the home village of Kabaya in Wasulu.
It's a lot easier to get there now than it used to be, so I'll do my
best. In any case, #1 wife Tata (mother of nine of the children) is in
Bamako.

A couple of points of clarification:
The brother Berte mentions whose mother was from Timbuktu ( she was
married to Seydou Camara when he was stationed there in WWII), is one
I've known as Mamadi since 1975 in Kabaya. Mamadi has resided in
Timbuktu for several decades, but has probably moved back south under
the present circumstances.

Given the circumstances of how Sekou acquired his new wife Bintou
Sidibe, it is not surprising that Berte was was unable to be entirely
accurate about how that happened. Bintou was presented to Sekou by
appreciative elders, but not from his home village of Kabaya. In 2010,
Sekou was working with me in Kankan, and it was his first ever visit
to Guinea (and to the elaborate tomb of the famous Karamogo who was
his namesake.)  I didn't know it at the time, but after a few weeks
when Sekou left me to return to Bamako, he went first to his father's
home village of Balandougou, which is in Guinea.

Six months later in 2011 in Bamako when I met with Sekou to arrange to
have him join me again in Kankan, I learned that when he had arrived
at Balandougou in 2010, the elders expressed their delight at the
visit of a long-lost son and their determination to create a renewed
bond between Seydou's offspring and the home village, that they
presented Sekou with Bintou (who already had an infant on her back).

So when Sekou showed up at Point Sud in 2011 with a lovely young
Fulamuso and her baby, that was the explanation. Sekou was quite
chuffed about his new wife, but those of you who knew him well might
recall some of his hysterically funny monologues derived from his
joking relations with Fulamusolu he encountered at various times (on a
bus, in a market, on the street, etc.). Being married to a Fulamuso
who could accurately be seen as a genuine "trophy wife," didn't change
a thing. At one point when I complimented the young woman's classic
Fulamuso beauty, Sekou leaned over with a frown, scrutinized her face
very closely and replied, "Yes, but she does look like a monkey."

As I mentioned in my remarks after we heard of Sekou's passing, Bintou
had recently given birth to a son with Sekou, and he had also adopted
her other baby. We had a similar situation with a baramuso when Tereba
Togola died, and were able to see to it that she was not left out of
the benefits. I'm optimistic that  we can do the same in this case. If
Bintou has returned to Balandougou (which I think would be the best
thing for her and those two infants), I'll be back in Guinea on my
next trip in a month or so, and will see what can be done in that
regard.

With warm regards to all, David

Begin forwarded message: