[Mansa-l] election stuff

David Conrad basitigi at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 30 14:30:12 CDT 2008

MANSAdenw:

The nominations that suddenly appeared on the list-serv were
volunteered by esteemed colleagues who misunderstood how this was
intended to be handled. No one is at fault for these kinds of things
that are normal in electronic communication.

When that happened, I immediately started receiving complaints from
some members that this was "unfair."

I initially had not noticed that those had gone onto the list-serv,
but when I did, I sent you individual messages containing the first
nominations received for each of the candidates.

I've received multiple nominations for each of two candidates that
have so far volunteered their services, but we only need one
nomination for each of them. One of them iis concerned that he was
also nominated by other people, but that these did not appear on the
list-serv. Please, let us not confuse nominations with votes. We will
carry out the vote in due time, and it seems safe to assume that each
of the candidates will receive more than two or three votes.

I'm also receiving questions now about when & how to vote. If you are
unsure, please re-read the long memo I sent out last week. (Anyone
who did not receive the memo must have changed addresses without
notifying Rich Warms: <r.warms at txstate.edu> and therefore will not
see this memo either, which is a constant problem for MANSA
administration).

Once I'm sure I've received statements from everyone who wants to be
a candidate, I will send those out in both the newsletter and also
place them on the web site. When everything is in place, we'll call
for a vote.

Now, I think it's time for me to mention that I am DEEPLY disturbed
by certain developments in MANSA of which I've become aware over the
past couple of months, starting when I was still traveling in
Portugal. Prior to that I had heard mention of "factions" developing
in our organization, but did not understand how that could be
possible, and did not take it seriously.  I feel I have still been
kept very much in the dark about something that has been going on,
but having acquired some additional information  am now taking this
very seriously.

I intend to do everything I can to see to it that my departure from
the MANSA presidency does not result in disunity and bad feelings in
the organization, the likes of which we have never before
experienced. Therefore at some point between now and voting time, I
will be sending you a memo addressing that issue, what it could mean
for the organization as a whole, and what I think should be done to
avoid future problems.

Best to all, David