[Mansa-l] Malinke/Maninka

Nicholas Hopkins hopkins at aucegypt.edu
Thu Oct 23 11:04:11 CDT 2008

When I went to Kita in 1961, I was thinking that the local people were
the Malinke, because I was coming from exposure to the French academic
tradition. Slowly I shifted to Maninka and maninkakan, which were the
words locally used (also Fula, Bamama, etc.). On the other hand,
Django Cissé of Kita published his PhD thesis as "Structures des
Malinké de Kita", so made a different choice. But I tried to go by
what I heard.

Nicholas Hopkins