[Mansa-l] revised v-p candidate's statement

David Conrad basitigi at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 17 12:59:07 CDT 2008

MANSAdenw:

I've asked Jan Jansen for a more substantive statement for his
candidate Brahima Camara that I could put in the newsletter with the
others. Jan is leaving for vacation, but has given me permission to
edit the statement myself. I had hoped for some details from
Brahima's resumé or more information about his work with Jan, but
those are not available for now. So I've prepared a statement based
on my own knowledge and experience of Brahima, and am sending it out
here, and will insert it with the others into the newsletter.

Jan Jansen’s Vice-Presidential Candidate Brahima Camara (submitted by
David Conrad)

Brahima Camara, a long-time MANSA member, holds a Ph.D. from the
University of Bayreuth, and his teaching duties at the Université du
Mali include German language subjects. In the past decade or so,
several MANSAdenw have had the advantage of working with Brahima on
various projects, and it’s always a pleasure to meet with him in his
office at the university. Brahima is Jan Jansen’s jatigi in Bamako
and regularly assists Jan on various projects including the series
“African Sources for African History” published by Brill. All
publications in that series are required to include the original
language text, and when the text is Bamana or Maninka, Brahima has
served as the main proof-reader for those languages in the series. In
fact, he performed that duty surprisingly quickly and efficiently on
my book Somono Bala of the Upper Niger. I’m also grateful for his
reading of the Maninka text of the epic of Al-Hadj ‘Umar Tal, in my
Safiyatu and Laji Umaru (not yet published). Brahima has done similar
work for several other MANSAdenw, and I believe they’ve all found him
to be a wonderful colleague and a great pleasure to work with. Since
finishing his graduate studies in Germany some years ago, Brahima has
continued to be active internationally, attending the 2002 Mande
Studies Conference in Leiden. Unfortunately, illness prevented him
from joining us for the 2005 Guinea sessions. He also hoped to attend
the 2008 conference in Lisbon, but that plan was ended by a request
to perform a mission for the Malian government, which clearly
indicates their recognition of his talents and accomplishments.
Brahima Camara is one of MANSA’s most accomplished Malian members and
is held in high esteem by all of us who know him and have worked with
him. He is, moreover, one of our most active Malian academic
colleagues who will doubtless play a leading organizing role the next
time a Mande studies conference is held in his country.