[Mansa-l] Vice-Presidential candidacy statement #1

David Conrad basitigi at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 13 16:36:24 CDT 2008

Written and submitted by Jan Jansen:

Brahima Camara (Université du Mali, PhD from University of Bayreuth)
is my ideal running mate. He has been my jatigi  in Bamako for almost
a decade. He is not only a colleague with whom I love to discuss
scholarly work, he has also been a constant source of strategic
advice and valuable help for me and many of my students. I will
definitely benefit from his expertise in the preparations of the 2011
MANSA international conference, which I propose to organize in the
West African country with which I am most familiar: Mali. (Ségou was
suggested to me by several members as an excellent location –
let’s explore this option!) In this period of transition, a location
that is more or less familiar to the executive board may be the best
choice. Brahima Camara’s help would also be of major importance when
the time comes for the practical organization of the 2011 conference.
Thanks to his international orientation, his large network, and his
administrative expertise he will be able to activate a large number
of the MANSA scholars who live in West Africa.

However, the MANSA by-laws state that ‘The Vice President shall, in
the absence or disability of the
President, perform the duties and exercise the powers of the
President’. Because Brahima Camara lives in Bamako, he won’t be
able to perform several duties of a MANSA president, if circumstances
force him (for instance presiding the annual meeting). Thus, I cannot
formally propose my ideal running mate as a candidate for vice-
president. I am therefore most honored that MANSA founding member
Walter van Beek is willing to act as vice-president, and will accept
all obligations related to that office, conforming with the by-laws.
(But Brahima Camara will still be my running mate, and he looks
forward to make a substantial contribution to MANSA.)