[Mansa-l] nominations

David Conrad basitigi at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 4 12:49:49 CDT 2008

MANSAdenw:

I now have formal statements from two candidates for MANSA President
and one candidate for Vice-President. I need to move forward with the
process, publishing those statements in the newsletter and on the
list-serv.

If any other nominations are pending, the nominee would be extremely
rushed to produce a formal statement, which will mean I must further
delay printing of the newsletter, which will put me in a serious time-
crunch because, you may be astonished to know, I have other things to
deal with than MANSA business. Therefore, I think I must close
nominations as of Monday, October 6.

While I (hopefully) have your attention, I'd like to include here a
few observations:

In the past few months since the Lisbon conference, I've received a
number of messages from European members conveying varying degrees of
concern regarding the manner in which our forthcoming election is
being conducted.
I'm not commenting here on the substance of their messages, but  the
tone and nuance of sentiments expressed.
In that regard, terms describing emotions such as "suspicion,"
"anger," "fear," "trepidation," "anxiety," "tension," "nervousness,"
and yes, "paranoia" come to mind.

I'd like to make a couple of points at this time:
1. In the twenty-two years of my administration of this organization,
it has never occurred to me to think of the membership as Africans,
Americans, Europeans, etc. You're all MANSAdenw, and I hope you can
accept my guarantee that contrary to a discussion that I'm told took
place during the MANSA banquet on the final night of the Lisbon
conference, there is no "conspiracy" among the Americans regarding
our presidential elections. Our international conferences were never
conceived as occasions for business meetings, and there has never
been any thought or intention of conducting business at those times,
least of all elections.

2. Could everybody who is feeling the above listed emotions regarding
any kind of election other than the forthcoming one between Barak
Obama and John McCain please take a deep breath and contemplate blue
skies and good things to eat?

We are not deciding on the leadership of the (allegedly) "free world."
Moreover, the MANSA presidency does not open a golden path to wealth
and glory.
This is an election to decide, basically, who will take on the burden
of editing MANSA Newsletter for the next couple of years, and
chairing a couple of MANSA meetings.

It almost seems to me that some of my correspondents are thinking
that the next MANSA tenure is slated to last for about 22 years. This
is not the case. The next MANSA President will server for two or
three years, and then somebody else will hold that office.

In our own little election, one candidate will obtain the dubious
distinction of "winning," and the other one will be relieved to have
the next couple of years to decide if he really wants to do this. So
please stay calm and don't worry about rigged ballots (this was
actually mentioned), hanging chads, and basitigiya.

With warm regards to all, David