[Mansa-l] Daouda "Flani" Sangare has died

Graeme Counsel g.counsel@umpa.unimelb.edu.au
Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:38:30 +1100

--Boundary_(ID_0/W6HqqGn4DgDj+dwiAyrQ)

Dear MANSA members,

One of Mali's most respected singers has passed away. I am sad to report
the death of Daouda "Flani" Sangare, who died after a short illness on
January 12 2008.

Flani's musical roots were firmly in the Wassoulou tradition. With Alou
Fane he made some of the first recordings of kamelen n'goni music. As lead
singer of the Super Djata Band he helped forge a new Malian musical style
in the early 1970s, a style which incorporated the Wassoulou tradition
within an orchestra setting, and which pre-dated the modern Wassoulou style
now widely known. The Super Djata Band became one of Mali's premier
orchestras, and they released several LPs and toured Europe. Flani's
knowledge of Malian musical traditions was extensive, and was recognised by
the Malian government in his appointment as lead singer of the National "C"
Orchestre de la Republique du Mali.

To his friends and family I offer my sincere condolences.

He is now with Allah and may he rest in peace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dr. Graeme Counsel

Secretary,
African Studies Association of Australasia and the Pacific (AFSAAP)

--Boundary_(ID_0/W6HqqGn4DgDj+dwiAyrQ)

Dear MANSA members,<br><br>
One of Mali's most respected singers has passed away. I am sad to report
the death of Daouda &quot;Flani&quot; Sangare, who died after a short
illness on January 12 2008. <br><br>
Flani's musical roots were firmly in the Wassoulou tradition. With Alou
Fane he made some of the first recordings of kamelen n'goni music. As
lead singer of the Super Djata Band he helped forge a new Malian musical
style in the early 1970s, a style which incorporated the Wassoulou
tradition within an orchestra setting, and which pre-dated the modern
Wassoulou style now widely known. The Super Djata Band became one of
Mali's premier orchestras, and they released several LPs and toured
Europe. Flani's knowledge of Malian musical traditions was extensive, and
was recognised by the Malian government in his appointment as lead singer
of the National &quot;C&quot; Orchestre de la Republique du Mali.
To his friends and family I offer my sincere condolences.<br><br>
He is now with Allah and may he rest in peace.<br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Secretary, <br>
African Studies Association of Australasia and the Pacific
(AFSAAP)<br><br>
</i></body>

--Boundary_(ID_0/W6HqqGn4DgDj+dwiAyrQ)--