[Mansa-l] kankan peace conference

valentikkolo@aol.com valentikkolo@aol.com
Tue, 07 Mar 2006 13:36:51 -0500

Dear all,

  I just wanted to let you know that Gorée Institute - African Peace
Activities Program - in partnership with the Mano River Women's Peace
Network (MARWOPNET) - will organize a 1-week conference at Kankan from
March 31 through April 6.
  The participants (about 30- 40) are mainly from West African civil
society organizations and research institutions.

  The subject of this meeting is "Women and peace-building" focusing on
the rôle of women actors in trans border areas (Mano River,
"Senegambia"). The intent is to support multidisciplinary study-groups
who have already defined their subjects, such as:

  1) Aliin Siitoye Jaata, lessons to learn from her movement and her
teachings (social reconstruction, environmental issues and other
aspects)
  2) The rôle of trans border women merchants in peace-building - the
case of the Guéckédou area (and eventually also the case of the
Casamance / Guinea Bissau area)
  3) The transformation of popular tales (fables) into instruments for
peace education

  The agenda includes a 3-day training on methods of collecting field
data (including eventually life-histories) with audio-visual support
and with special attention on the use of sensitive data (ethics). This
is needed because the study groups are supposed to publish their
findings. The training will be done by CESTI, Center of Science and
Technology of Information at Dakar University.

  We would be glad to have the support of all those mansadenw who are in
possession of knowledge on one or all of the three subjects mentioned
above. We invite all mansadenw who are in the area at that time to
assist the meeting (or parts of it) and we will be happy to include
students of Kankan University in the fieldwork training.

 Au plaisir
 Cornelia

 Cornelia Giesing
 Programme Manager