[Mansa-l] 6th Conf: Non-member participants

David Conrad basitigi@earthlink.net
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 17:54:52 -0500

--Apple-Mail-14-401473771

6th International Conference Participants:

MANSAdenw,
With each new international conference we hold, there are increasing
numbers of non-members of MANSA who join and register just to give a
paper at the conference. They attend the conference, present a paper,
and at the end of that year let their membership expire and are never
seen or heard from again as MANSA participants (although sometimes they
reappear when it's time for the next conference).

These people sometimes make grand contributions and are VERY WELCOME as
long as they do join MANSA at the regular membership level, pay their
registration fees, and follow the other prescribed guidelines for
participation in the conference in which they wish to present. I will
find room for them on the program, however I need to ask your
cooperation in some of the steps involved in this process.

If you are in touch with a non-member who wants to present a paper,
please take responsibility for explaining the requirements that all
participants are expected to meet:

Explain to them that they must be a member of MANSA.
Please give them the information they need about how to join the
organization, or tell them the web site address so they can find the
information themselves  (uweb.txstate.edu/anthropology/mansa)
If you are providing the information, be sure to tell them the dues
structure, what information we need for their membership (addresses,
professional affiliation, areas of research, etc.)
Provide them with the Secretary-Treasurer's address:

Dr. Catherine Bogosian
Department of History
Wayne State University
3094 Faculty/Administration Building
Detroit, MI 48202
  ao0184@wayne.edu

If they're an African scholar residing in their home country:
1.  You can be their sponsor and give them the same information (we
need their addresses and all the other information), but explain that
you are paying sponsoring dues for them (and then send in the
sponsoring dues).
2. Explain that if they want/need funding to cover their expenses in
Guinea, they need to qualify for MANSA funds by sending me their
complete paper so I can pass it on to board members for evaluation and
acceptance or rejection. The deadline will have to be the end of
February.

PANEL ORGANIZERS, PLEASE TAKE SPECIAL NOTE OF THIS REQUEST. At the last
conference in Leiden, I had a some extremely unpleasant encounters
because a non-member was allowed onto a panel without previously
joining or paying any registration fees. The person took up a space on
a very crowded program, the panel in question ran long, I had to call
"time" on it so I could keep that day's schedule on track (we had to be
out of the conference building by 5 p.m. sharp), and subsequently, one
of the co-chairs angrily accused me of being unfair to them by not
allowing enough time for discussion. Ironically, if the "crasher" had
not been on that panel, they would not have run out of time. When I
learned that the person had not paid any fees, I interrupted his
enjoyment of the lunch we provided, took him to Rosa DeJorio (our
Secretary-Treasurer at the time), and asked him to pay his fees. He
refused to do so, and we never got anything from him. I don't want this
sort of thing to happen again.

Organizing a conference like this is a taxing, time-consuming
responsibility, and the present one is more complicated than usual
because of the double venue. Neither I nor Catherine Bogosian the
present MANSA Secretary-Treasurer has time to enter into correspondence
with one-time participants, learning their e-mail addresses and other
information, explaining the membership procedures, describing the
conference, discussing their paper topics, etc., etc. In short, I'm
asking that if you encourage a non-member to participate, you take
responsibility for getting them set up as members and participants.

Many thanks for your cooperation, David

[...]

<underline> ao0184@wayne.edu</underline>

</color></fontfamily>