[Mansa-l] Conf. Memo Part 2 Pasted

David Conrad basitigi@earthlink.net
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 16:36:11 -0500

--Apple-Mail-12-396752643

PART 2

KANKAN:
At this writing Kankan has been without electricity for several months,=20=

so there=92s a good possibility that there won=92t be any during the =
days=20
of our conference. The university and the places you=92ll be staying =
have=20
generators, but it=92s handy to have a flashlight with you.

KANKAN CONFERENCE FACILITIES AND SESSIONS
The sessions will be held in a very large conference room at the=20
University of Kankan. It=92s much larger than we=92ve ever used at any =
of=20
our conferences, but it might be needed because there will probably be=20=

an unusual number of non-presenters attending, including students and=20
other interested people.
I asked about the possibility of power-point presentation, and our very=20=

capable and helpful university liason Oular=E9 Kabin=E9 indicated that =
they=20
do have the capability. I didn=92t actually see the equipment, but if =
you=20
want to use power-point, bring your material on a CD and we=92ll hope =
for=20
the best. If your presentation really depends on visuals, you could=20
bring slides as back-up.

ACCOMMODATIONS: KANKAN HOTEL UP-DATE
In some cases prices have gone up a bit, but not as much as the rate of=20=

exchange, so they=92re probably actually less expensive than before.=20
There are a few other changes I want to mention, so for Kankan I=92m=20
going to go back through what I wrote before and insert the new=20
information.
University Hotel: The =93Uni Hotel=94 on the campus of the University of=20=

Kankan is being enlarged from around a dozen rooms to twenty-seven, and=20=

I reported before that it would have twenty-seven rooms by June 2005. =20=

However, they are not finished, and they will not be ready by June.=20
There are still just the seven units that were there in January 2004=20
(fewer than originally because one side is torn up with the=20
construction). The rates for those have not changed, and still run in=20
the 25-35,000 FG range with a couple of suites in the 50-60,000 FG=20
range that can accommodate several people.
University Hotel Restaurant: I=92ve eaten here quite a few times in the=20=

past few years. It=92s quieter than at the Hotel Bat=E9, and the service =
is=20
less slow. There=92s an inside dining room, though it=92s much more=20
pleasant to eat outside at a table in the walled courtyard or in the=20
paillotte. This trip the sauce arachide was extremely good. Notable=20
features:
1. The friendly Ghanaian waiter=92s name is Kwame.
2. There=92s a sort of fountainless tiled =93fountain=94 or =93pond=94 =
in the=20
center of the courtyard with shallow water and a woebegone four-foot=20
crocodile.
For room reservations you can contact Dr. Oular=E9 Kabin=E9, University =
of=20
Kankan, B.P. 209. E-mail unikankan@yahoo.fr

Hotel Bat=E9: The rates have gone up a negligible amount (to the=20
equivalent of minus $1 to $2-3). This is the big old hotel of Kankan in=20=

the center of the city, a quite acceptable place in which =93everybody=94=20=

has stayed at one time or another (including Ambassador David Rawson=20
when he came down from Bamako in 1998). =46rom here to the university=20
it=92s not more than a ten-minute walk along one of the busy, =
interesting=20
market streets and past the main covered market in the town center.
The Bat=E9 has forty rooms (all with bath) ranging from c. 32,000 FG in=20=

the old part, to 45-50,000 in the new part. There are a couple of=20
suites in the 70,000 range. Mostly air-conditioned, some rooms with=20
fans. If you share a room, divide all these prices in half, but=20
unfortunately there are very few with single beds. The guy we talked to=20=

said breakfast is not included. We argued a bit and he said he=92d talk=20=

to his patr=F3n, but I don=92t think that will change.
Eating at the Bat=E9: This gets the most traffic from locals, ex-pats =
and=20
passing travelers. The food is similar in quality to that of the Uni=20
Hotel, but with a few different offerings, including quite a good soup=20=

and a decent poulet yasa. It=92s a congenial place to eat, but the=20
service is about as slow as it gets, thus offering plenty of=20
opportunity for long conversations and more beers. Notable features:
1. The friendly & charming waiter who does all the work is Mamadi.
2. The woebegone critter here is a biche tethered on a short chain.
3. A local bolon-player named Sala Kouyat=E9 often hangs out there ready=20=

to take requests for your favorite warriors=92 praise-songs.

Centre D'Accueil Diocesain: In terms of cleanliness and pleasant, quiet=20=

atmosphere, this is could be the best choice. Two blocks from the=20
university along a dusty street lined with mango trees, it=92s allegedly=20=

the Catholic guesthouse, but it=92s a two-story hotel built around a=20
central courtyard with young shade trees.
This does not have kind of atmosphere where you=92re always conscious=20
being in a mission guesthouse, especially the Protestant ones, if=20
you=92ve ever stayed in one. On this last visit which was made before=20
lunch, there were a couple of local guys hanging out in a dining room=20
drinking beer. It has thirteen immaculately clean and neat rooms, each=20=

with a shower, sink, good bed w/ mosquito net, toilet down the hall.=20
20,000 FG per night WITH BREAKFAST (remember, the rate of exchange at=20
the moment is $1.00 =3D 3,300 FG). B.P 208, Kankan; e-mail:=20
evecheka@yahoo.fr (or see below under =93correction=94 for help from=20
Stephen Belcher who is in Kankan).

Hotel Calao: Eight air-conditioned, apparently clean but rather dark=20
and very musty-smelling rooms with bath, now 35,000, and all the beds=20
are double. It=92s only one street over from Hotel Bat=E9 with a quiet=20=

courtyard. There=92s a not-unattractive fairly large local-style (you=20
know what I mean) dining room, but I can=92t testify to what the food is=20=

like. In my earlier report I called this hotel =93a nice little place,=94=20=

and it has a certain je ne c=92est quoi, but taking another look, it=20
would be my fourth choice among the ones described here.
It has a restaurant, but I haven=92t eaten there.

REVISED NOTION ON HOTEL BOOKING STRATEGY: In my earlier report I=20
indicated that it would be all right to wait until you get to Guinea to=20=

book your Kankan accommodations, but with the university hotel not=20
completed it would be better do to it in advance. In any case, if you=20
do it before you leave the U.S. it will be one less thing to worry=20
about when you get to Guinea. Also, it will be easier now because=20
Stephen Belcher (teaching at the U. of Kankan on a Fulbright) has very=20=

kindly and generously offered to help you book if you want to e-mail=20
him with your accommodation requests: spb3@psu.edu

--Apple-Mail-12-396752643

<underline>PART 2

</underline>KANKAN:

At this writing Kankan has been without electricity for several
months, so there=92s a good possibility that there won=92t be any during
the days of our conference. The university and the places you=92ll be
staying have generators, but it=92s handy to have a flashlight with =
you.<bold>

</bold>=20

KANKAN CONFERENCE FACILITIES AND SESSIONS

The sessions will be held in a very large conference room at the
University of Kankan. It=92s much larger than we=92ve ever used at any =
of
our conferences, but it might be needed because there will probably be
an unusual number of non-presenters attending, including students and
other interested people.

I asked about the possibility of power-point presentation, and our
very capable and helpful university liason Oular=E9 Kabin=E9 indicated
that they do have the capability. I didn=92t actually see the equipment,
but if you want to use power-point, bring your material on a CD and
we=92ll hope for the best. If your presentation really depends on
visuals, you could bring slides as back-up.<bold>

</bold>=20

ACCOMMODATIONS: KANKAN HOTEL UP-DATE

In some cases prices have gone up a bit, but not as much as the rate
of exchange, so they=92re probably actually less expensive than before.
There are a few other changes I want to mention, so for Kankan I=92m
going to go back through what I wrote before and insert the new
information.

<underline>University Hotel</underline>: The =93Uni Hotel=94 on the =
campus
of the University of Kankan is being enlarged from around a dozen
rooms to twenty-seven, and I reported before that it would have
twenty-seven rooms by June 2005.  However, they are not finished, and
they will not be ready by June. There are still just the seven units
that were there in January 2004 (fewer than originally because one
side is torn up with the construction). The rates for those have not
changed, and still run in the 25-35,000 FG range with a couple of
suites in the 50-60,000 FG range that can accommodate several people.=20

University Hotel Restaurant: I=92ve eaten here quite a few times in the
past few years. It=92s quieter than at the Hotel Bat=E9, and the service
is less slow. There=92s an inside dining room, though it=92s much more
pleasant to eat outside at a table in the walled courtyard or in the
arachide</italic> was extremely good. Notable features:=20

1. The friendly Ghanaian waiter=92s name is Kwame.

2. There=92s a sort of fountainless tiled =93fountain=94 or =93pond=94 =
in the
center of the courtyard with shallow water and a woebegone four-foot
crocodile.

For room reservations you can contact Dr. Oular=E9 Kabin=E9, University =
of
Kankan, B.P. 209. E-mail
=
/underline>

<underline>Hotel Bat=E9</underline>: The rates have gone up a negligible
amount (to the equivalent of minus $1 to $2-3). This is the big old
hotel of Kankan in the center of the city, a quite acceptable place in
which =93everybody=94 has stayed at one time or another (including
Ambassador David Rawson when he came down from Bamako in 1998). From
here to the university it=92s not more than a ten-minute walk along one
of the busy, interesting market streets and past the main covered
market in the town center.

The Bat=E9 has forty rooms (all with bath) ranging from c. 32,000 FG in
the old part, to 45-50,000 in the new part. There are a couple of
suites in the 70,000 range. Mostly air-conditioned, some rooms with
fans. If you share a room, divide all these prices in half, but
unfortunately there are very few with single beds. The guy we talked
to said breakfast is not included. We argued a bit and he said he=92d
talk to his <italic>patr=F3n</italic>, but I don=92t think that will
change.

Eating at the Bat=E9: This gets the most traffic from locals, ex-pats
and passing travelers. The food is similar in quality to that of the
Uni Hotel, but with a few different offerings, including quite a good
soup and a decent <italic>poulet yasa</italic>. It=92s a congenial place
to eat, but the service is about as slow as it gets, thus offering
plenty of opportunity for long conversations and more beers. Notable
features:

1. The friendly & charming waiter who does all the work is Mamadi.

2. The woebegone critter here is a biche tethered on a short chain.

3. A local <italic>bolon</italic>-player named Sala Kouyat=E9 often
hangs out there ready to take requests for your favorite warriors=92
praise-songs.

<underline>Centre D'Accueil Diocesain</underline>: In terms of
cleanliness and pleasant, quiet atmosphere, this is could be the best
choice. Two blocks from the university along a dusty street lined with
mango trees, it=92s allegedly the Catholic guesthouse, but it=92s a
two-story hotel built around a central courtyard with young shade
trees.=20

This does not have kind of atmosphere where you=92re always conscious
being in a mission guesthouse, especially the Protestant ones, if
you=92ve ever stayed in one. On this last visit which was made before
lunch, there were a couple of local guys hanging out in a dining room
drinking beer. It has thirteen immaculately clean and neat rooms, each
with a shower, sink, good bed w/ mosquito net, toilet down the hall.
20,000 FG per night WITH BREAKFAST (remember, the rate of exchange at
the moment is $1.00 =3D 3,300 FG). B.P 208, Kankan; e-mail:
=
</color>(or see below under =93correction=94 for help from Stephen =
Belcher
who is in Kankan).=20

<underline>Hotel Calao</underline>: Eight air-conditioned, apparently
clean but rather dark and very musty-smelling rooms with bath, now
35,000, and all the beds are double. It=92s only one street over from
Hotel Bat=E9 with a quiet courtyard. There=92s a not-unattractive fairly
large local-style (you know what I mean) dining room, but I can=92t
testify to what the food is like. In my earlier report I called this
hotel =93a nice little place,=94 and it has a certain <italic>je ne =
c=92est
quoi</italic>, but taking another look, it would be my fourth choice
among the ones described here.

It has a restaurant, but I haven=92t eaten there.

REVISED NOTION ON HOTEL BOOKING STRATEGY: In my earlier report I
indicated that it would be all right to wait until you get to Guinea
to book your Kankan accommodations, but with the university hotel not
completed it would be better do to it in advance. In any case, if you
do it before you leave the U.S. it will be one less thing to worry
about when you get to Guinea. Also, it will be easier now because
Stephen Belcher (teaching at the U. of Kankan on a Fulbright) has very
kindly and generously offered to help you book if you want to e-mail
him with your accommodation requests: spb3@psu.edu

 =20

=20

=20