[Mansa-l] (no subject)

Gil Geis ggeis@uci.edu
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 07:35:48 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C49FAD.9D4DD9A0

Dear Mr. Reinhardt:

   I found your e-mail quite puzzling, though I appreciate your taking =
the time to send it and to express your feelings.  I always write about =
things that "I do not know" in the sense that I start out with a =
question and then seek an accurate answer. It has worked reasonably well =
for more than fifty years.  I want people to tell me what they know =
about the Mali police situation and then I will at least discover what =
has officially been written and what I have learned, and I would try to =
make sense out of it
   I did not understand your terse sentence "No one does" that is, no =
one knows.  Somebody must know, though it may prove difficult or =
impossible to find out from them.
   Nor do I understand what you mean by telling me that the U.S. "should =
definitely stop deceiving itself on the state of affairs of others."  =
For one thing, I am a person, not the U.S.  Nor do I deceive myself on =
the state of affairs of others.  You seem to be hostile to any attempt =
to learn and to understand others: you yourself might well be accused of =
deceiving yourself about U.S. academia and about me personally.  You =
highlight that the U.S. does WRONG with what I presume you regard as =
inaccurate information.  Again, I find that irresponsible when it is =
applied to me as an individual.  U.S. academia is not a fig leaf for an =
ugly bully on the ground.  The President is, but only about half of the =
people support the President, and I am not one of them.  Would you like =
it if I held you responsible for the years when Mali was a military =
dictatorship?
   Anyway, thanks for taking the time to write. I obviously must look =
elsewhere for the facts that I am seeking.  Which means, of course, that =
I cannot take advantage of your own knowledge so as to be more certain =
that I am doing a good and accurate reporting job.  But in that way you =
only undermine your own value.
    gil geis
  ----- Original Message -----=20